The latest and greatest news and updates for the month of May
- The newly renovated east half of Noble Fish has opened and work has begun on the older section of the business
- Creative Chic Workshop, 36 E. 14 Mile, has a new business owner and will re-open June 1st.
- Three Cats, 116 W. 14 Mile, has received Site Plan approved from the Planning Commission for the kitchen addition. The new kitchen is in the former storage space at the back of the store.
- Weiss Distilling Company next step is a new water line. The DDA assisted with a grant application for an opportunity available through MSOC for a matching grant for the water line
- At the Main Street Award Recognition Event Downtown Clawson had two award recognitions
- Valerie Glander for Boardmember of the Year. Congrats to Valerie!!
- Thanks to Leon & Lulu and staff we won the ‘RadioHour themed window display. The window display carried a $1500 award split between the business and DDA. Leon & Lulu donated their half to the DDA so $1500 to add to our bottom line!
- The next round of Tech Visit funding is under consideration. Clawson will be eligible for up to $5,000.00 from the National Main Street Center for project assistance. We will be using the funds to update the Downtown Clawson Development Plan and TIF Plan
News & Updates
- The DDA continues to explore grants for public art however they require matching funds and will need fundraising for the match
- Last years Tech Visit was for the development of a Fundraising Plan. Main Street Oakland County is offering additional assistance to market and implement the Downtown Neighbors Membership Program.
- The pedestrian crossing islands:
- For the crossing at High Street (in front of Old Port) Oakland County Road Commission has approved the use of a replacement pole same as the one damaged instead of waiting for the new design which is not yet available
- Parts are available for the Renshaw (in front of ACE) but the city if working to determine which agency – city, road commission, insurance – will be responsible for payment
- 14 & Main pedestrian crossing update. In our continued effort to be proactive with pedestrian safety the DDA was awarded funding from Main Street to hire a traffic consultant to assess pedestrian safety at the intersection. The end result is a TIA recommendation; “pedestrian push buttons should be installed. Once installed left turn protected and /or leading pedestrian intervals may be installed”. Three grant opportunities may be available but matching funds would need to be met by the city.
- Cost estimates have been sent to State Rep. Padma Kuppa and Congressman Andy Levin for consideration in appropriations bills
Organization: The cost for Brick Buy Brick downtown pavers will be raised to $100
Design: DPW is working to schedule the installation of the metal entrance arch at the East 14 Mile alleyway
Promotion: We’ve received fantastic movie suggestions for Cinema in the Street and will narrow to three choices for a vote
In other news….
We are happy to announce the addition of a summertime fresh market to the downtown.
When: Every Wednesday from 3-7pm June through September
Where: 139 W. 14 Mile in the parking lot of the Salt & Sugar Company
What will you find? Organic meat, eggs, produce and other handcrafted items.
Everything you hope for in a market!!
Opening day is Wednesday June 5. Be there!