All the news that is news from the May DDA board meeting and more:
The Grand re-opening of ACE was well attended on April 28. ACE Hardware and the entire project look amazing!
The apartment units at the ACE Development, will carry the name The Clawsonian. The units will begin taking applications by the end of the year.
38 E. 14 Mile, Great Lakes Skate Shop has moved and a vintage store will soon be moving into the space
139 W. 14 Mile will soon have a new a new gourmet foods retail store which is hoping a for mid-June opening
We are excited to see new retail joining our business mix.
Outside the Downtown
331 N. Main has received site plan approval for a new breakfast/lunch restaurant called
Biscuits & Gravy. They are happily keeping the chicken on the roof!
Sharing a note from all restaurant businesses in the downtown and throughout the city. They are Hiring!!
The mixed use development at 516 N.Main will begin underground work to install sewer lines in early June
The Elliot Park Apartments on Rochester Road have 8 units complete and passed final inspections. The entire project is anticipated to be complete by end of July.
- The annual National Main Street Conference held in Richmond Virginia was attended by Joan Horton and Valerie Glander. New ideas and innovations will be shared. Main Street provided $500 to offset travel funds and Chairperson Mary Liz Curtin sponsored the cost of lodging.
- Main Street Oakland County has agreed our greater need is to help fund amenities for the streetscape and the social district and will allow use of the Tech Visit funds along with the In Your Town training funds for that purpose. Submittals will be in by the June 1st deadline
- The MI Enhancement grant for the new signal at the pedestrian crossing in front of the ACE Development is complete and will be signed by the City Manager for submittal.
- Invasive species grant; working Oakland County Parks to determine the best plantings for the pedestrian islands
- The Michigan Economic Development Corporation grant for streetscape elements due 6-1-2022 requires matching funds. We are not in a position to commit so will not be making application.
The arch has been installed and looks to be the perfect entrance. String lighting across the alley will be the next step. Concepts are underway to use in grant submittals.
The Social District opens on Saturday, May 21st. Signage, map and other information is posted on tables at each exit point and throughout the downtown. There is a QR code included that directs to the webpage on downtownclawson.com.
The Open Air Sidewalk Faire is moved to Saturday, May 28 due to severe thunderstorm warnings on the original May 21 date
Committee members created a spreadsheet with plantings of compatible colors and varying heights. They are visiting nurseries to check availability and obtain quotes.
Banner design was presented and approved for seasonal banners.