All the news from the DDA monthly board meetings and more…
- Downtown Charlie’s, 28 S. Main, has received their liquor license from Michigan Liquor Control Commission (MLCC). Still waiting on the Grand River Brewery, 1 E. 14 Mile, licensing
- Noori Chicken, 1 S. Main, also received a liquor license and have plans to open a dining room soon
- Broadway Square (ACE project). All commercial spaces have been leased
- 172 W. 14 Mile (former Burger King), demolition is complete and plans for redevelopment are being considered.
Commercial construction projects continue in and around the downtown
- Broadway Square; work is progressing on interiors of apartment units. There is a waiting list of prospective tenants
- 400 S. Main has current building permit
- 76-84 W. 14 Mile (former Lim’s) has current building permit
- 516 N. Main; townhome development framing underway
- Clawson Manor, 255 E. 14 Mile; (senior high rise); interior & exterior renovations continue
- 436-456 W. 14 Mile, plans have been submitted for an apartment development
The DDA is preparing an application for a Revitalization and Placemaking Program (RAP) Grant through the Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC). Main Street Oakland County (MSOC) is submitting the applications from all Main Street communities together as a package to MEDC and has requested American Rescue Plan (ARPA) funding from the County to add to the package. The state grant percentage plus the county percentage lessens the financial match on each of the Main Street community applicants.
The Clawson DDA is applying for parking lot improvements to the SE municipal lot including the market sheds as visioned on the downtown master plan.
Grant awards notices are expected to be announced by the end of the year.
Grant follow ups
- Oakland County Sustainability Grant: Crews were in town last week to complete the planting of native plants in all of the pedestrian islands.
- MSOC/Flagstar Bank Grant: The new banners have been installed and the large planters were delivered. We plan to have the planters in place and full of flowers before Cinema in the Street on July 8.
- Main Street Technical Visit funds:
- New downtown trash containers were purchased with a portion of the awarded funds with the cost supplemented by downtown business sponsorships. The containers are now in place and the sponsor tags will be added.
- Remaining funds purchased the alley artwork.
Dine Clawson & Events
- The movie selection for Cinema in the Street is School of Rock. S. Main Street closes at 4:30pm. Karaoke, games, and the Frozen T-shirt contest will take place on the street from 6-8. The movie will begin at dusk. Save the date – Saturday, July 8
- ClawsonFest planning continues for a bigger and better event this year. The date is Saturday, August 26
- Modifications to the artwork are complete. Miss Dig has been notified to mark the alley and then the art will be installed. Locks will be available to purchase or locks brought from home – personally decorated if desired – may be locked onto the metal mesh inside the heart shape to ensure hearts stay in Downtown Clawson.