All the news in Downtown Clawson for the month of April….
Downtown Business Updates
- Weiss Distillery, 34 E. 14 Mile, Broadway Square (ACE Development) and Clawson Lofts (townhome development) continue in the construction process
- The Lucky Duck, 38 S. Main (former Moose Winooski location), received site plan approval from the Planning Commission and have turned in building plans in order to begin construction
- Clawson Jewelers, 26 N. Main, has a ribbon cutting for their new location scheduled on May 8
- Lewton’s Sports Card & Collectibles has received a Certificate of Occupancy and will open soon at 18 S. Main
- ACE Hardware, 149 E. 14 Mile, is opening later in the day while remodeling is underway on the interior
- Three Cats, 116 E. 14 Mile, is mourning the loss of chef Matt Prentice but are moving forward with Chef Drew who Matt mentored and honoring Matt’s memory by maintaining many of his signature dishes
- We are sadly losing a few businesses; Pure Balance Massage, 116 S. Main and Froze Creamery, 230 S. Main are closing for business and Flipside Records, 41 E. 14 Mile has not been able to secure a new lease and is looking for a new location
- The April 16 Emergency Order issued by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) reinforces the Gatherings and Mask Order and has new guidelines for outdoor enclosures. Contact tracing, masks, 50% occupancy and other measures are in effect as before. This order is in effect through May 24
Complete health order: CLICK HERE
- We continue to distribute products received through the Oakland Together Restaurant Relief Grant Program awarded through our successful grant application
- The application window for the federal Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) applications has been extended through May 31 for 1st and 2nd round applicants
- The application portal for the Restaurant Revitalization Fund (RRF) – part of the federal American Rescue Plan Act – will open soon through the Small Business Administration (SBA). Full details with a sample application and documentation required have been emailed to businesses, posted on social media and on downtownclawson.com CLICK HERE
Funds for the 2021 Technical Visit will be released by Main Street soon for the Parking Study to be completed by Rich and Associates.
- E. 14 Mile Alley: New stormdrain has been installed to stop pooling water. Installation of brick pavers is the next step.
- Downtown Zoning update; The ordinance to bring downtown zoning in line with the Future Land Use Map and Master Plan was passed by Council at the April 20 meeting
Building & Planning Department Update
- Construction continues for Elliot Street apartment complex on N. Rochester Rd.
- The Planning Commission found a development of office and apartment units proposed at Roth & Main met the criteria as a Planned Unit Development and it will now go for a public hearing during the April 27 Planning Commission meeting.
- A Sustainability Committee, a sub-committee of the Planning Commission, has been established and is recruiting members.
- New silhouette figures have been approved and are in fabrication
- Currently awaiting final quote on new banner designs
- Thank you to the Clawson Gardening Group for clean up efforts on the downtown planting beds
- A Spring Open Aire Outdoor Faire is scheduled (tentatively) for Saturday, May 22. The event will feature a Springtime Soup Competition and Street performers. The date will be finalized as the current COVID impact on restaurants is lessened due to current surge.