All the news that is news from Downtown Clawson for the month of January…
Downtown Business Updates
- Construction continues for the Weiss Distillery, 34 E. 14 Mile. Underground utility work behind the building is underway.
- Broadway Square (ACE Development) continues to move forward without incident
- 84 W. 14 Mile, the former Lim’s Palace, received a resolution from Council allowing the new Sushi Bar and On the Rocks to apply for a Redevelopment Liquor License
- Clawson Jewelers is moving from 45 S. Main to the former Trim site at 26 N. Main
- Green Light Body Piercing has opened at 259 E. 14 Mile
- Renshaw, 210 E. 14 Mile has closed, until indoor dining opens
- 16 S. Main is now for lease as Marcela Alterations is not renewing their lease
- The new business owner for, 38 S. Main, the former Moose Winooski property, plans to submit site plans soon
- Greenhouse dining enclosures are in place at Pumachug and Mojave and an igloo will soon be installed at Whiskey Taco Foxtrot. The equipment is as part of the Restaurant Relief Grant awarded to the DDA by Oakland County.
- An Emergency Order issued by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) on January 22 allows restaurant indoor dining to resume at 25% capacity along with other restrictions and regulations for restaurants, other businesses and gatherings. View the entire order for details.
- Sales, Use and Withholding tax is delayed, for businesses in entertainment, recreation and restaurants that depend on indoor dining.
Details on all programs are available on downtownclawson.com/news*:
- Restaurant Relief Grant Program (Oakland County) applied for by the DDA and granted. Awards weatherization equipment – greenhouses, igloos, propane heaters and propane tank refill exchange.
- Small Business Survival Grant Program (State) opened 1-19
- Michigan Stages Survival Grant Program (State) Jan 21-28; for live music & entertainment venues
- Employee Assistance Grant (State) Jan 15 – 25
- Restaurant Meal Program – allows food assistance recipients to order meals from participating restaurants. Restaurants were able to begin to apply on Dec 22. Details still to follow on when food assistance recipients may begin to apply
- Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) Second Round (Federal) Jan 11 – Mar 31; available to 1at and 2nd round applicants
- *information was also sent by email and posted on social media
- Downtown Zoning update: The Downtown zoning updates are on the Planning Commission agenda for January 26 to schedule a public hearing,
- Alley Update: Weiss underground work is underway, sewer tap repair for 13 S. Main is next, and installation of catch basins in the alley for improved drainage will follow. The install of the alley arch and other improvements may then take place.
The process to become a certified Redevelopment Ready Communities (RRC) by the Michigan Economic Development Corp (MEDC) is underway. The program ensures our vision and plans as a community are defined, and processes are easy to follow providing improved customer service to residents and developers
- Sales are strong on the Downtown Clawson Dollars E-gift Card Program. Bonus card funding was depleted of the $2,500 that launched the program and was again funded with $2,500. Bonus gift funds are are made possible through the Clawson Can Do fundraising effort last Spring.
- The DDA was successful in a grant application; receiving $9,000 from the Consumers Energy Our Town Program. This program allowed for a Flash Sale which took place on Saturday, January 16. Each gift card purchase received a matching bonus card with two purchases allowed per person. Funding was depleted in 3 ½ hours with 205 cards sold. The regular card program was suspended during the Our Town program and resumed once that program ended.
- The DDA is still offering bonus gifts and covering the transaction fees on every Downtown Clawson Gift Card. Go to downtownclawson.com to get yours. Support Local!
Please contact DDA Director Joan Horton
email and cell number are below
Director Clawson DDA