All the news that is news from the Director Report at the July DDA Board Meeting:
Downtown Business Updates
- Broadway Square (ACE Development) and Clawson Lofts (townhome development) continue through the construction process
- Construction also continues for the Lucky Duck, 38 S. Main
- A new lease has been signed for 1 S. Main, the former DaNang. The new restaurant will be a Noori chicken franchise which specializes in Korean fried chicken.
- 116 S. Main, has received their Certificate of Occupancy as StudioSculpt at Moxie
- Sign was installed for Weiss Distilling Company, 34 E. 14 Mile
- The temporary Certificate of Occupancy for Weiss Distilling for vendors and training has been extended. Full C of O will be approved with the completion of brick paver installation at the front of the building
- New outdoor patio at Old Port Family Restaurant, 278 E. 14 Mile, and a new door on the front façade to service the patio area
- Downtown Charlie’s, 236 S. Main, is expanding into the adjacent space to the north formerly occupied by Froze
- The funding and contract from the National Main Street Center to initiate the parking study by Rich and Associates has been approved and signed
- 14 Mile Alley: Hartwell Construction will shoot grades to show water run off and will provide a quote for additional drainage
- At our request representatives from SEMCOG will conduct a field visit with DDA and city officials to review traffic on 14 Mile and Main Streets to consider transportation and parking options
Building & Planning Department Update
- Construction continues for Elliot Street apartment complex on N. Rochester Rd.
- The mixed use of office and apartment units proposed at 516 N. Main received designation as a Planned Unit Development (PUD) by Council on July 6. The next step is site plan submittal to Planning Commission
The new street banners have been delivered to DPW for installation
StoryWalk, a program in collaboration with the Blair Memorial Library, was launched on July 1st with the placement of pages from the childrens story Duck on a Bike placed in 15 downtown businesss windows
Sept 11 Cinema in the Street is scheduled for September 11. This date is the 20th anniversary of the tragedic attacks on September 11, 2011 and a memorial moment, to be determined, will be planned prior to the movie.
The DDA received a resolution of approval from Council at their July 20 meeting to move forward with application to the Michigan Liquor Control Commission for the establishment of a Social District.