The latest news from Downtown Clawson for the month of June
Downtown Business Updates
- Salons, gyms and all personal service businesses opened on June 15
- Restaurants are open at 50%. Retail at 25% of occupancy load per fire marshal
- Downtown businesses remain open with few exceptions
- Lim’s Palace, 84 W. 14 Mile has closed
- Fritatta, 236 S. Main, closed during COVID and has not yet reopened
- Due Venti, 220 S. Main, has not reopened for inside dining but continues with limited take out meal plans
- Pumachug, 1 S. Main remains on schedule with a possible mid to late August opening. Sign permit application was submitted this week.
- White Wolf, 31 E. 14 Mile, received approval for a patio seating area and now await MLCC approval for outdoor service.
- Renshaw Lounge, 210 E. 14 Mile, has increased outdoor seating with a tented area behind the building
- New business opening soon at 38 E. 14 Mile – Great Lakes Skate Shop
- Plans for a multi-family development north of 14 Mile between Florence & High Street received conditional approval from the Planning Commission on June 9. The development will consist of ten two-story townhomes
- Broadway Square (ACE Development) continue to work through the process with MEDC on Brownfield and the Community Rehabilitation Act funding
- The DDA, over four distribution days, has distributed nearly 100 Business Reopening Kits provided by Oakland County. A spreadsheet was submitted to include all downtown businesses, businesses have signed up through the county website and the DDA has contacted small businesses throughout the city to inform them of the program
- Oakland County is exploring their options for bulk purchasing of PPE which would allow businesses to purchase at reduced cost
- The Main Street Tech Visit request was filed.
- The Patronicity Clawson Can Do crowdfunding campaign raised $9, 915. With the match provided by MSOC the total is $13,915
- A grant submission packet was sent to MEDC for the Match on Main Grant Program but we were not awarded funding.
We are keeping up with social media, website, newsletters and business communication to keep the downtown businesses and those throughout the community aware of changes in Executive Orders and how they affect business. We are also maintaining an ongoing list of resources on available funding programs and resources along with guidelines, tips and resources for re-opening. Stay tuned to downtownclawson.com/news as the posts update frequently.
Still waiting to hear from tree companies on tree stumps for quick, portable and recyclable additional seating. Have contacted 5 tree businesses.
Worked with the City Planners on a guide for outdoor raise platform seating in on-street parking spaces. The plan has the approval of the Police Chief, Fire Marshall, DPW. Plans have been sent out to three local builders for quotes so we can determine how to go forward.
Continue to maintain an ongoing list of resources for reopening guidelines, tips, and resources for PPE on our website
Let’s share ideas and any -even crazy ideas – or promotions you’ve seen, read about or thought up! Throw your ideas out there. We’d love to hear from you!