The latest and greatest from the DDA Director Report at the September board meeting:
- Weiss Distilling Company, 24/34 E. 14 Mile, received a variance regarding a rear setback requirement. The project is now on the Planning Commission agenda for site plan approval on Tuesday, September 25
- Zeoli’s Italian Restaurant, 126 E. 14 Mile, Grand Opening date is planned for the end of this month but the date is still to be determined.
- Have not received an update from Carmoni’s Pizza, 202 E. 14 Mile, on their opening plans
- Stitch in Time Tailor, 259 E. 14 Mile, is planning to vacate at the end of September with the end of the lease term and is searching for other lease space.
- Europa Coffee, a coffee & espresso machine sales and service business, has moved from 242 S. Main and now occupies 255 E. 14 Mile
- The Lim’s Restaurant building, 84 W. 14 Mile, is now for sale. Previously only the business was for sale.
- Decorating updates continue at both Old Port and Tavern on the Main
- 14 Mile and Main pedestrian crossing markings and safety:
- Decorative crosswalk markings: Have found a company in Virginia that specializes in pavement stencils and have requested a quote for a brick patterned stencil. Lane closures for application and dry time will be discussed with city staff to determine feasibility.
- Pedestrian safety: Still waiting for report and recommendation from TIA, the city traffic consultant regarding timing options for improved pedestrian crossing at the 14 & Main intersection
- Semi truck traffic: Signs have been posted on 14 Mile prohibiting turns onto N. Main due to the tight turning radius. Signage is still to be installed on the mast arms by Oakland County Road Commission.
- Grant funding: Received notice that the DDA’s application for the placemaking grant submitted last month was successful and we have been awarded $2,500 for the E. 14 Mile alley entrance project. This grant was made available by Genysis Credit Union through Main Street Oakland County
- Tech Visit: The DDA has been awarded funding through the National Main Street Program for technical assistance. We identified fundraising as a pressing need and have selected Cobblestone Solutions, a Royal Oak consulting firm, to assist with a comprehensive Fundraising Plan. Main Street is providing $4,600 to cover the cost of the proposal submitted.
- Public Art: Installation of the silhouette artwork has begun with the placement of artwork mounting posts by DPW. The first grouping of three silhouette figures will be in place on Monday, September 24 along the landscape beds in front of Pizza Hut. Two additional silhouettes will be installed later in the week at the clock tower.
- Landscaping: Sunnyside Landscaping reviewed the state of all of the plantings on the streetscape and islands. Some were replaced this summer due to winter damage but others are looking quite sad and they suspect the road construction was a factor. They will submit a plan to replace and for fall maintenance.
Sunnyside will also submit a quote for installing brick pavers in the E. 14 Mile alley along with a plan to improve existing paver sections that have heaved/dipped
- The Promotion Committee is preparing for Halloween events on Saturday, October 27. Trick-or-Treasure is noon to 3pm for kids and the adults have fun in the evening with The Great Pubkin Crawl which begins with registration at Three Cats Café from 6-7pm and runs until ???
Volunteers are needed for both events.