All the news in Downtown Clawson for the month of May…
Downtown Business Updates
- Weiss Distillery, 34 E. 14 Mile received a conditional Temporary Certificate of Occupancy for training and vendors
- Broadway Square (ACE Development) and Clawson Lofts (townhome development) continue in the construction process
- Lewton’s Sports Card & Collectibles has opened for business at 18 S. Main. Owner has requested a June ribbon cutting at a date to be determined
- Unplug & Paint, 126 E. 14 Mile, received their Certificate of Occupancy
- The Gatherings and Mask Order was updated on May 15. Eliminates mask wearing requirement for vaccinated individuals but maintains all the same capacity and social distancing requirements. This order is in effect through the end of May. Complete health order and how if effects businesses is on downtownclawson/news. CLICK HERE. New Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration updates are also posted.
- We continue to distribute products received through the Oakland Together Restaurant Relief Grant Program
- The application window for the federal Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) closes May 31 for 1st and 2nd round applicants
- The application portal for the Restaurant Revitalization Fund (RRF) – part of the federal American Rescue Plan Act opened on May 3rd and will remain open until funds are depleted. CLICK HERE for program details
- The National Main Street Center has launched an online resource tool for small business that provides consultative recommendations to of all stages and ages with 20 or fewer employees. The business groupings are Retail, Service Providers and Food & Beverage.
- We are waiting for a contract from NMSC to initiate the parking study by Rich and Associates.
E. 14 Mile Alley: AEW surveyed to determine the grades for water run off in order to complete the alley
Downtown Zoning update; The ordinance to bring downtown zoning in line with the Future Land Use Map and Master Plan was passed by Council at the April 20 meeting
Building & Planning Department Update
- Construction continues for Elliot Street apartment complex on N. Rochester Rd.
- A development of office and apartment units proposed at Roth & Main as a Planned Unit Development (PUD) will next be scheduled for a public hearing with Council at a future date.
- A Sustainability Committee, a sub-committee of the Planning Commission, had first meeting
- There is a joint Council, PC, DDA meeting scheduled for May 25 at 7:30pm which will be held virtually.
- Currently awaiting final artwork for banners
- Flower baskets will be delivered by first two weeks of June. Colors are pink, bordeaux and cream
- Sunnyside Landscaping is currently weeding the pedestrian islands and other beds the volunteers were not able to clear. Next week they will place plants where needed due to loss. Final step will be for DPW to add mulch
- The DPW will turn off the clock for 24 hours and restart with the correct time. This has fixed the issue in the past
- A Clawson company called Book Wizards has offered to replace the Downtown Clawson Little Free Library on S. Main with a new library and to maintain it going forward so it will be assured to have fresh books. Our thanks to Book Wizards owner Angela Schneider!
- A Spring Open Aire Outdoor Faire is on hold until the current COVID impact lessens, particularly the ability of restaurants to maintain staffing levels
- Boardmember David Bowlin has offered to take on the role of ambassador and visit small businesses in Clawson and invite them to be a part of the Downtown Neighbors program and enjoy its benefits
- The DDA is preparing an application for the Michigan Liquor Control Commission (MLCC) for a Downtown Social District that will allow the sidewalk to be used as ‘public space’ as allowed by the Michigan legislation. This would allow restaurant customers to enjoy an alcoholic beverage while they are seated along the sidewalk or window shopping as they wait for their indoor or patio seating to become available. The next step is to request a resolution from Council authorizing the project to move forward.